Move-in day finally arrives! All of your stuff cramped into the back of your car. You don't know what to expect. A new chapter in your life is about to start. You don't really know anyone in this new environment. All of your life you have had your parents to guide you step by step. Now, it is your time to shine. Independence! Freedom! You control how much time you study, how much time you party, how much homework you do, how many classes you attend, how many tests you study for...and so on. All this responsibility, all of a sudden, hits you like a brick to the head. It is what most like to call culture shock. By definition, culture shock is the feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected into an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes (Oxford American Dictionary).At Georgia Tech one can't help but experience a cultural whirlwind.
My name is Amy, and I can say for sure that Georgia Tech has sent me into a cultural shock. Unlike my blog mates TexasGirl and Chinese Boy I come from Fayette County, Georgia. It is around 40 minutes south of here. It is a relatively large county composed of Fayetteville, Tyrone, and the place notorious for it's common use golf carts, Peachtree City. It is definitely a product of Sprawl. My home is on 9 acres of land. It is wonderful. We have a cornfield, and acres of plush green grass. I live in a small house that is just right for my family of four. I have always lived in that house, and I love it there. The area is private and was an ideal piece of property to grow up on. Lots of yard to play in! Cars are a necessity to get around though. Its at least a 10 minute drive to the nearest strip mall or highway. If I ever want to go to a friends house it's at least a 20 minute drive. There is no walking option. The area is typically inhabited by middle class caucasians. I went to a small private school where my graduating class was 58. I knew everybody's first and last name in my entire high school. My teachers were my friends and truly cared about my success in school. Life was completely different there, and life is completely different now. When I was thinking about what to post on this new to atlanta blog I wanted to give an accurate description of my feelings in this strange new world called college. So curiously I looked up on wikipedia the stages of culture shock. And there it was. What I have been feeling in three simple phases.
1. The Honeymoon Phase-"During this period the differences between the old and new culture are seen in a romantic light, wonderful and new. For example, in moving to a new country, an individual might love the new foods, the pace of the life, the people's habits, the buildings and so on." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock)
- Ahh yes... I believe this was just last week for me. After I had got settled in my dorm, eaten in the delicious Britain dining hall, and walked to class everyday, I was loving it. Everything was exciting because it was so different! Moving to Atlanta, which seems like a new country to me even though it's only 45 minute from my hometown, has been exciting. The pace of life is much quicker. There is always something going on. There are so many different kinds of people here, especially on Tech campus. Georgia Tech is really a culturally diverse environment. There are students and teacher from all over the world here. Atlanta: the lights, the skyscrapers, the sound of rush hour, the odd smells...all new and all wonderful.
2.Negotiation Phase - "After some time (usually weeks), differences between the old and new culture become apparent and may create anxiety. One may long for food the way it is prepared in one's native country, may find the pace of life too fast or slow, may find the people's habits annoying, disgusting, and irritating etc." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock)
- Well It has been about two weeks and I think I am slowly moving into this phase. I haven't really felt anxiety. I have only felt stress due to the enormous amount of homework I have to do and the upcoming tests that are right around the corner. I do miss my mom's cooking and access to my FAVORITE drink, Chick-fil-a sweet tea. Time seems to fly by, and I am quite disgusted and irritated by the fact that in every class I sit right by the kid coughing and sneezing his swine flu germs all over me.That annoys me. While it may seem like I am a downer right now there is hope! Stage 3.
3.Adjustment Phase - "Again, after some time (usually 6 – 12 months), one grows accustomed to the new culture and develops routines. One knows what to expect in most situations and the host country no longer feels all that new. One becomes concerned with basic living again, and things become more 'normal'."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock)
- I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks when I gain my footing here at Georgia Tech. I can't wait to get into a routine, to feel like I know what I am doing and what is going on. So on my next blog I will be sure to note my progression into the adjustment stage but as for now I am just surviving.
I am just trying to get a feel for this new way of life, but it is cool that I am not the only one. Miles aka Chinese Boy has come from a completely different country, and TexasGirl a new state. It has been rough for me, but I can't imagine how it has been for them. Well at least there are 2,600 other people I am surrounded by that are going through the same thing. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in my journey to adjustment in this new exciting place, Atlanta.

No comments:
Post a Comment