Friday, September 11, 2009

The Gorgeous Grant Park


For our first essay assignment, we were asked to do a neighborhood evaluation. Typically I would cringe at the thought of writing a paper, but this time is different. It is a hands-on, observation, opinionated report on a neighborhood in the Atlanta area. I wanted to pick a place that has had a bad reputation, one that is not as nice as the Little Five Points, Buckhead, and Midtown area. The first place that popped into my mind was Grant Park. It has history as being the largest historic neighborhood in Atlanta. The community had suffered from miscarriage and neglect until the 1970's when people got serious about it's restoration. (http://www.grantpark.org/core/item/page.aspx?s=2122.0.35.20). Since then, the area has been blooming. Here are some things that I love about the place: the colorful old historic houses, the beautiful grant park, the feel of an old traditional neighborhood, the effort being made into the renovation of the community, the variety of people, young, old, black, white, methodist, baptist, longtime residents, newcomers, people from all different social classes living together, the history, the corner stores, the zoo, and even the cyclorama. All of these elements make up a inviting and appealing place to live. When I went there to make observations I expected a trashy run-down neighborhood, but instead, I got a surprise. I saw heart. I saw the effort that has been put forth by the residents to turn their community around. I added one element to my criteria after I visited. It was " A community that cares". One that has an associations and committees designed to bring progress and prosperity to to the neighborhood. I highly recommend visiting the Grant Park area. I can't wait to go back in a year or so and see the all changes! It's exciting! Until next time...Amy

Picture: (http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/atlanta/buildings/ghd1.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment