Friday, September 4, 2009

I caught myself calling Atlanta my home


Greetings!
It's Amy here! Well, It has been another long week filled with a mixture of rainy and sunny days. Georgia weather is bipolar. In the morning you get a downpour and by the afternoon the sun is beaming! So, this past week in english class our professor asked us to check out some blogs about the metro community area. We were suppose to analyze it and figure out why the author of this blog is writing about his community. Is he complaining about something? Trying to get something changed? Does he want to make a difference? Does he just want to tell you about his home? What compels this author to write about his neighborhood?
I did some research, checked out a couple of interesting blogs about metro Atlanta, but one stuck out to me. It's called Drive a Faster Car (www.driveafastercar.com). I loved this blog for it's purpose. It isn't someone complaining about the current conditions, the outrage of swine flu, politics, or the terrible economy. Its about culture, art, music and diversity in the streets of the city. On this blog there are so many things to check out. They post events happening all around the area including concerts, festivals, and art shows. The blogs focus is on the entertainment and culture of the great Atlanta.
There is so much to look at on Drive a Faster Car. It's filled with music videos, pictures, audio clips, event posters and so much more. Besides the fact that I am obsessed with music, I love this blog because the author's passion for this city so transparent in his posts. It is refreshing! He is genuinely is excited about all the events going on in his community, and he wants to share it with everyone. I think what inspires him to write is what he sees and experiences everyday. He is actively involved in these neighborhoods and encourages you, through his blog, to just emerge yourself. Get out there! Expose yourself to your surroundings. Get involved and give Atlanta a chance to prove to you it can be called home too!
I am sure there are many more blogs out there just like Drive a Faster Car! I think people like to write about their home and all the things they love about it. And even if they don't love it, their purpose might be to change something. They might want to make a difference in their neighborhood. No matter the focus of the blog, I think a common theme among blogs is writing about where you are from and where you are now. The environment in which you live is important and is apart of you. It is interesting to read about everyone's different cultures and how that affects their outlook in life.
So as one week comes to a close and another one begins, I think I am officially in the adjustment stage of culture shock (I talked about this in my previous post). Today, as I was walking back from dinner at The Varsity (an Atlanta landmark), it hit me. As I was walking across the bridge, watching the cars go underneath me(on the very same expressway shown in the video that Texasgirl posted), I noticed the strong warm breeze, the noise, the beautiful color of dusk, all the skyscrapers start to light up, I realized I could easily call the city my home. There is just something about it. Now that I am use to it, I love it. I get it. I understand why there are so many blogs just about Atlanta. It's beauty not only lies in the bright lights but also in the diversity of it all. The music, the art, the people, the culture. It's exhilarating really. Now, I am happy to call it home. (The picture is of me and my new home in Atlanta)

1 comment: